At last, the mojito recipe

July 30th, 2003 § 24 comments

After several mojito-making experiments that failed miserably—the Mojito Julius, mochajitos, mo-Fritos, and so on—I finally mixed some mojitos on Saturday night that were good enough to justify posting the recipe. The instructions are ridiculously detailed, so that you can benefit from all the mistakes I made.

(Incidentally, when I got on this mojito kick, I had no idea that it was the “it” drink of this summer. My housemate and I both liked them already, so we figured, hey, let’s make some mojitos. Does that put us ahead of the trend or smack in the middle of it?)

Anyhow. You will need:

• Highball glasses (the tall, skinny ones)
  • Whole mint leaves
  • Superfine sugar
  • Club soda
  • Limes, cut in half
  • White rum
  • Ice cubes

To make a mojito, put a small handful of the mint leaves in a glass. The leaves should fill between a quarter and a third of the glass; more than that, and the drink becomes difficult to mix. Add a teaspoon of superfine sugar and a few splashes of club soda. Use a chopstick or the handle of a wooden spoon to muddle the mint leaves until they smell minty and the sugar has dissolved. (“Muddling” is just squishing the leaves against the bottom of the glass. Be careful not to muddle them so hard that the leaves tear, or you will wind up with bits of mint that float to the top of the glass and get in your mouth when you take a drink.)

Squeeze both halves of a lime into the glass, then add one of the lime halves. Add three one-ounce shots of rum. Add a few ice cubes—about four or five if you’re using the ones from those little freezer trays—then add club soda, not quite enough to fill the glass. Stir very gently a few times, pulling the mint leaves away from the side of the glass so that the sugar isn’t trapped at the bottom. Share and enjoy.

24 Comments

• dave says:

Another cool way to muddle & disolve the sugar is to throw them in a coctail mixer with a couple of ice-cubes & the rum. Pour them out & then add the seltzer.
    Ohh and the COOOOLEST thing (esp @ a party) serve mojitos with a sliver of sugar cane for a stirrer…

• Michele says:

I say it puts you are ahead of the trend. :) Thanks for the recipe! Do you have any suggestions for making these by the pitcher for a party ? I was thinking of making a pitcher, then leaving out classes out w/ mint leaves … what do you think? … tacky or not, maybe I should just make a bunch and make rounds. Lettme know what you think.

Hmmm. That’s a tough one. I’m not sure if there’s any good way to make mojitos in bulk. You could try muddling a whole bunch of mint, sugar, and sparkling water at once, then doling it out between glasses; that would save time, but who knows how it would taste.
    The other thing to keep in mind is that the sparkling water will go flat, so at the very least, that should be added at the last minute.

• Scott says:

If you like the Mojito, you should also try a Dark and Stormy, the national drink of Bermuda.
    I live in Miami and I really enjoy both of these drinks. Heres the URL again for the Dark and Stormy – http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink3117.html

• Terri says:

I have been looking for a mojito recipe.
    Seems no one at the restaurants knows what i’m talking about, and my husband knows I ALWAYS am ahead of the trends, so thank you for yours!!!
    And also a comment on THE MIGHTY WIND.
    Oh my god………………it is so damn great, i can’t tell you.
    I love christopher guests movies anyway. I’m a ‘guest groupie’. It blows me away to watch spinal tap, THEN the mighty wind, to see how much they change. REAL TALENT. PERIOD.
    TX!!!

• Honey says:

Perfect! Thank you for the recipe! I had my first mojito at Alma De Cuba in Philadelphia and I was hooked! If you are ever in Philly, try it out. Also, the Palace Kitchen in Seattle made one for me that was out of this world. It was not on the menu and the bartender made a a special trip to the kitchen to score some mint leaves. Nice, huh? Happy Muddling!

• John Adams says:

Remove the sugar. Replace it with _simple sugar_, which 1 cup sugar to 2/3 cup water, heated in a saucepan at medium heat and then cooled to room temperature (or quickly cooled in a bain marie!)
    Oh, and by the way, “3 one ounce shots” is a 6 or 7 second pour through a pourer. Some say one second = one shot, but I don’t buy that ;)

• Maria Garffer says:

I think muddling is optional. At the Bodeguita del medio, the bar that made the mojito famous in La Habana, the mint leaf is added like a garnish. The lime/sugar mix is prepared in advance and you make a mojito like you would make a gin and tonic or a rum and coke…. Highball, ice, 2oz rum, 1 teaspoon of lime/sugar mix, 4-6 oz. club soda, mint leaf to garnish. The drink is clear like a gin and tonic. We’ve made mojitos at my house always and we don’t muddle the mint. I think muddling became trendy because the mojito came after the caipirin~a, which is a totally muddled drink.

• Anonymous says:

I had a totally awesome Mojito made for me at TGI Fridays restaurant- They had to go to the store for the mint!- The bartender wanted to come over and speak to the person who ordered the drink! He says NO One in Waco Texas has ever asked for a Mojito before!! – He made mine using Bacardi Limon Rum- gave the drink a bit of sweetness to it. I loved it.
    Laurie in Waco

• Phizzo says:

Michele: Making in bulk. Check out this website…http://www.cubaheritage.com/articles.asp?cID=13&sID=179&ssID=224&artID=401. My wife and I had our first Mojito at the Kangaroo Court at Nassau and we loved it. Enjoy!

• TKORR says:

Try adding a couple of drops of bitters to the top of the drink as a final touch, and stir a bit. This is how I had my first mojitos at a resort in Veradero Cuba, and I have been making them at home to rave reviews since.

• laurie says:

Thanks for the recipe- the mister and I just tried it out (after talking about how we should for a year now! hah!) and the mojitos are quite tasty. Mmm!
    Cheers!

• Murph says:

Wow!!! A Mojito message board??? Ha! I have been searching the search engines for all things Mojito and stumbled across your site and quickly bookmarked it to browse the mojito serving suggestions. I am putting a bar off of my screened porch here in North Carolina and naming it Mojitos as it will be my version of a cuban themed cigar friendly place to hang out for my neighborhood friends. Interesting suggestions. I used to make them with sugar but now make a batch of simple syrup to keep in the fridge as it is more convenient (equal parts sugar/water shaken up until dissolved then kept in the fridge)
    Thanks for sharing your ideas…any suggestions on how to work the cuban theme or the mojito theme into the bar is welcome….

• Anonymous says:

Okay, this is the best drink in the known universe. Had my first one (of a set) last night at Huggo’s on the Rocks in Kailua-Kona. It was made exactly like the recipe at the top of this page. It was perfect. After my first one I was considering the best place in my yard to grow mint. I already have a lime tree, but I may have to plant another one just in case. By the third one I was planning a trip to Cuba. Called a friend on the mainland as soon as I could sit up this morning who had been there and he said try the veranda at the Hotel Nacional. Just one more reason to end the embargo.

• Amy says:

I had my first mojito in Austin last weekend. I actually had a mango mojito.. just substitute the white rum for mango run. It was excellent. Can’t wait to plant some mint! This past weekend I ran into a friend that makes them. He used key limes (3) which gave it an even better taste.

• Erica says:

If anyone is in the Los Angeles area, you’ve got to try the Mojitos at Xiomara’s in Pasadena or the ones at the Cuban Bistro in Alhambra. At Xiomara’s, the bartender uses a sugar cane extractor to extract all the wonderful sweet water and uses that. They are the best. Had 6 of them! oops…

• LN says:

is super fine sugar the same as powdered sugar? i’m gonna mix up some mojito’s this weekend and need to know!

Nope–superfine sugar is coarser than powdered sugar, but not as coarse as granulated sugar. I’ve heard you can make superfine sugar by putting granulated sugar in a blender for a few seconds.

• ln says:

thanks – i’ll try it!

• kindakindguy says:

Biba
    -a funky chic boutique hotel in Palm Beach-
    just introduced a stellar Vanilla Mojito
    For rum, substitute qual parts Nassau & white rum (3-count each)
    Garnish w/vanilla bean

• Resa says:

I had one at a restaurant one time that used a little crystalized sugar on a wooden stick. Like the rock candy I had as a kid. It was clear (non colored at any rate) and it seemed so chic! Plus I could suck on the candy and tease hubby all dinner. ;-)

• Leila says:

Your recipe varies a bit from the Mojitos I had in Miami 2 weeks ago. Try muddling the mint leaves with the lime juice without the sugar afterward use liquid sugar, club soda and Bacardi Limon. MM MM GOOD.
    Some other great spots for Mojitos
    The Bellagio and The Venetian Hotels in Vegas are great
    And would you believe it.. this nice little restaurant called COAST in Milwaukee WI has the best Strawberry, Orange or Pineapple Mojitos.
    I discovered this drink watching the food network last year..and have been hooked ever since.

• Melvin says:

The night bartendetr were I work puts roses lime juice in mojitos. Does anybody have an opinion on that.

• Catherine says:

Here’s a pretty good recipe for mojitos in bulk — give it a try!

You are currently reading At last, the mojito recipe at pinchy dot org.