Concertgoer

February 27th, 2004 § Six comments

I saw Low and Jolie Holland in San Francisco last night, along with a couple of other bands I didn’t care for so much. Low was amazing live, as I’d been told it would be. I had never heard of Jolie Holland before, but I was captivated from the moment she started singing. She sounds a bit like a cross between Billie Holiday and Chan Marshall, more so in concert than on her album.

The show was at the Great American Music Hall, which would be a fine venue were it not for the complete lack of chairs (unless you spring for a dinner seat upstairs). Not an ideal situation for a four-hour show, especially if you’re as sleep-deprived as I was.

Six comments

I need to write fewer compound sentences.

• Cdawg says:

If you wanted to go to another concert this weekend, Super Furry Animals is playing in SF. I saw them in Detroit a few weeks ago – they are a Welsh pop/rock/alternative band (no good genre describes them). They were not spectacular, but they were decent. (Being in Detroit for 5 weeks, anything was a worthwhile distraction!) On a related note, I saw Guster in Cleveland this past Wednesday night – now they were really GOOD! Highly recommended.

Want to? Yes. Have time to? Sadly, no. Between a concert last night and a movie tonight, I’ve used up all my non-grad-school time for the next week or so. But thanks for the tips.

• Cheri says:

The lack of chairs makes it only the Good American Music Hall.

• Christine says:

At Brixton Academy in London they have a nice compromise: these sort of parallel bars you can lean your arms on on whilst standing in the pit.

Interesting. Bonus points for your use of the word “whilst.”

You are currently reading Concertgoer at pinchy dot org.