Giving you the franchise

September 28th, 2004 § Seven comments

Hey, California pals: If you’ve moved recently, and you were expecting the DMV to handle your change of voter registration, make sure you’re actually registered at your new address! I mailed my change of address form to the DMV two months ago, and they still haven’t updated my registration.

The easiest way to find out whether you’re registered is to call your county registrar of voters. For my Alameda County peeps, the number is 510-272-6973. It took me about two minutes to call and check. If you know you’re not registered, you can download the form and mail it in. You can also pick one up from any of the seventeen thousand people who are registering voters right now—but mail it in yourself, so you can be sure that it doesn’t get lost.

Remember, you will feel stupid if you aren’t able to vote this year. The registration deadline is October 18. Take care of this while you still can!

Seven comments

• Jenn says:

I re-registered about a month ago but rather than send me a voter information packet to my home in Oakland, they sent one to my parent’s house in Yolo County instead. Does this mean I can vote twice?

• Jenn says:

Damn autocomplete feature! I didn’t mean to sign my full name.

Hmmmmmmm. I’d say either you are poised to rock the vote twice as hard as the rest of us or your registration is hopelessly screwed up. I’d call the Alameda registrar just to make sure. (It really is painless. I didn’t even have to wait on hold.)
    Oh, and I excised your full name, so your partial quasi-anonymity is once again intact.

• Cdawg says:

I registered to vote at a concert at the Fillmore a few weeks ago, but haven’t received anything in the mail yet. Maybe Cdawg wasn’t an acceptable first name. BTW, it’s my birthday!

Happy belated birthday! I would definitely celebrate by calling the SF registrar if I were you.

• throgers says:

This has nothing to do with voting, but I just wanted to note that I added the pinchy.org RSS feed to My Yahoo! page, so now I’ll be up-to-date on All Things Jeff. I don’t know if that’s a new feature of MyY! or not, but I only just noticed it when I upgraded to their beta. Pretty cool.

Excellent. But I’ve scarcely even been posting about Some Things Jeff, much less all of them. If you really want to stay current on All Things Jeff, your best bet, as always, is to hire a private investigator to comb through my garbage.

You are currently reading Giving you the franchise at pinchy dot org.