Oh, homonyms, will you never cease to amuse me?

October 10th, 2004 § Six comments

From an article in today’s New York Times about why Bush and Kerry can’t stand each other:

Aides to Mr. Bush said that Mr. Kerry reminded him of the Brahmins he met, and disliked, at Yale and Harvard Business School. “One word the president uses sometimes is ‘haughty,’” said one person close to Mr. Bush…

I probably shouldn’t admit this, but I am that “one person close to Mr. Bush,” and the word Bush actually uses sometimes is “hottie.”

Six comments

• throgers says:

I believe that’s more specifically a homophone, since the words are not spelled the same way. Sometimes I wonder why I read this e-rag….
    Dr. Evil : I like to see girls of that… caliber.
    [pause]
    Dr. Evil : By “caliber,” of course, I refer to both the size of their gun barrels and the high quality of their characters… Two meanings… caliber… it’s a homonym… Forget it.

I’m going to be a complete dork and admit that I actually looked up “homonym” before posting this entry, just to make sure I was using it correctly. The dictionary I have at home says that the two words don’t have to be spelled the same way; Dictionary.com says they “often” have the same spelling. “Homophone” would definitely have been more precise, but since it’s all homonyms that amuse me, I chose the broader term. This is probably one of those cases, though, where I chose a technically correct but confusing usage.

• throgers says:

Yes, well- touchè. Didn’t homonyms also come up last night? I seem to recall that, but Oaktoberfiesta has somehow impacted my ability to remember specifics.

Funny how that works, isn’t it? They did indeed come up last night, but I suppose that wouldn’t be reflected in any of your incriminating photos…

• throgers says:

Hey, if you don’t want photos circulating, of you sitting under a counter and laughing, well then maybe you shouldn’t sit under a counter and laugh.
    It’s a good thing we didn’t have this conversation verbally, or I might have had a homophone-related confusion- that you were referring to my incriminating “faux-doughs”… by which I mean my collection of scandalous, pliable sculptures… created from a substance that’s very flour-like… but not quite… forget it.

But that’s where I do all my best laughing!

You are currently reading Oh, homonyms, will you never cease to amuse me? at pinchy dot org.