Eustace Tilley, you magnificent bastard

June 1st, 2005 § 10 comments

The New Yorker is about to publish all of its back issues in digital form. Every issue from 1925 through last February, all on eight DVDs—and for just $63 on Amazon. Oh, sweet glorious day! Now I can read those legendarily interminable articles from the William Shawn era in the comfort of my own home. I haven’t preordered this yet, but it’s really just a matter of time.

Writing this made me realize that I don’t really know any other New Yorker geeks—plenty of people who enjoy the magazine, but few, if any, who are obsessed with it to the point of knowing its history. It’s probably just as well. I’d hate to find myself spending all my time in some New Yorker chat room, arguing about Peter Arno cartoons from 1932 and writing Harold Ross/Robert Gottlieb slash fiction.

10 Comments

• throgers says:

Speaking of the NY’er, on page 50 of the most recent issue (songbird + iPod cover), H. Allen Orr manages to inject an urban planning reference into the “intelligent design” debate. Pretty amusing.

So you’re a planner, eh? WE SURE COULD USE SOME INTELLIGENT DESIGN IN MY TOWN

• Christine says:

Though it is not a pet interest, I am actually interested in chatting NYer history with you sometime. I need to revise this article I wrote regarding the mag last year (wrote it for my contemporary poetry class but want to submit it someplace), and would love to pick your brain on the subject.

Sure! I’m more of a gadfly than an authority, but I’ll do my best.

• Jenn says:

Completely unrelated to your post but… congrats on making the Chron! I’m assuming you are the same Jeff Williams at UCB who collaborated on the drawing in the Datebook, no?

I am indeed! Thanks for the congratulations. We produced that drawing starting at 3 AM on the day of our studio presentation. It’s safe to say that we never expected to see it in Datebook.
    And congratulations to you on finding a new place! I’ve only been reading everyone’s journals sporadically, but I saw that recently and was very happy for you.

• dumptruck says:

In case anyone else without easy access to the print edition of today’s Chronicle is interested:

Liz, I’m hiring you as my new publicist. For the record, the green object near the bottom is part of Yerba Buena Island and not, as has been suggested elsewhere, a cloud of raw sewage.

• Jenn says:

Thank you! Now I will have a safe place to ride my bicycle

• chudfembot says:

Hey Jeff. You may not have known it when I slacked past your cube in Mountain View, but I am a New Yorker geek too.
    *two snaps, Harold Ross style*
    chudfembot

You are currently reading Eustace Tilley, you magnificent bastard at pinchy dot org.