Peter Franus, you’ve done it again

August 5th, 2005 § Seven comments

As if to compensate for the recent margarita-swilling escapades, my leisure activities this week have been distressingly wholesome. For example, I bought Kirby cucumbers at the farmers’ market and tried, but failed, to make fresh pickles; alas, my brine proved insufficiently briny. I’ll try again next week, possibly with green beans rather than cucumbers. (This experiment was the first in a new series, in which I will try to stop being lazy about purchasing things at the store that can just as well be made at home. Next up: hummus. And there might be some canning before I’m through. Look out, people.)

Oh, but the virtue doesn’t stop there. I also got a card for the Oakland Public Library; sold a few unneeded possessions on eBay; attended a going-away party for an old friend; and cleared away the piles of paper in my office. What’s going on here? I’m a young, city-dwelling, single male who can pass as a hipster in dim light, and yet I’m sitting at home on a Friday night, updating my weblog and sipping a minerally Sauvignon Blanc with a pronounced note of grapefruit. Shouldn’t I be drinking Jack Daniels and trashing a hotel room somewhere instead?

Well, I suppose that wild abandon has never really been my métier, as evidenced by my use of the word “métier.” For this week, at least, I’ll have to settle for the simpler pleasures of responsible adulthood.

Seven comments

• Elanor says:

Boo! Hiss!
    More penguins! Less responsibility!

Elanor, if we learned anything from that movie, it was that penguins are among the world’s most responsible animals.

• Jenn says:

And here I am, a young, city-dwelling, single female who can pass as hipster in dim light and I’m home alone on a Friday night drinking beer and reading Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs. I might as well be your younger brother.

• Cdawg says:

And THAT is why you never got invited to any fraternity parties in college, Jeff! Actually, you will make an excellent homemaker someday. I’m jealous of all this unemployment you are taking advantage of, as I write this from the office on a Saturday night at 6:30pm. Now THAT is lame, even though I am in India. BTW, I saw few more commuter elephants this week! Hooray! My sighting count is now up to 6 – who needs a safari?

Jenn, my actual younger brother was out last night with a bunch of friends, so apparently neither of us is happening enough to take his place.
    Christie, your work schedule does indeed suck, but six is a thrillingly large number of elephants to have seen.

• throgers says:

Were you the victim of one of my library raves? I’ve been on quite the library kick since graduation, since I have:
    a) lots of time on my hands
    b) not much disposable income
    Gotta love the library! Yes, I am a dork.

I was indeed the victim of one of your “library raves.” I can’t imagine why you thought it wise to fill the downtown library with glowstick-toting, pacifier-sucking, hippie-dancing, drugged-out twenty-somethings, but inviting me was even more pointless.
    (If you have book recommendations, perhaps you can fill me in Monday evening.)

You are currently reading Peter Franus, you’ve done it again at pinchy dot org.